christmas day dinner – 2009
This was our Christmas dinner menu. It was mostly an Ina Garten Christmas:
- Salad with warm goat cheese
- Prime rib
- Blue cheese sauce (I didn’t have gorgonzola as it calls for, but it turned out very well with the blue cheese)
- Popovers (#fail)
- Garlic mashed potatoes (add minced garlic, 1/2 cup sour cream and 1/4 cup butter to mashed potatoes)
- Roasted beets
- Brussel sprouts with pancetta
- Rustic maple pecan pie
- Gingerbread upside down cake
I botched the popovers and they ended up as burned hockey pucks.
BUT! The blue cheese sauce with the prime rib was outta this world delicious. I was the only one who ate the brussel sprouts, but I thought they were definitely the not-mushy version. And I adored the Rustic maple pecan pie (thanks, Aimee)…mmmmm, all crunchy and sweet and nutty. (Ella thankfully and skillfully made the desserts).
This feast took about five hours to prep and cook, but my kids did all the clean up afterwards while I napped on the couch, and also happily consumed their meal, so it was all worth it.
And just when you thought you could never eat again, we are going for dim sum with our neighbours this morning, as is our Boxing Day tradition…