We are off for a greatly-anticipated trip to Ireland. I’ve never been there, so I don’t know what to expect. This makes for grandiose anticipation, and we’ve had great fun doing some planning, from blogs such at the Kitchen Chronicles and Me and Marisa.
Mike and I are big fans of the slow travel concept of travelling. Which basically means you park yourself in one place and get to know it really well – travelling in concentric circles from your home base. The first week we are running about a bit because we are presenting at a conference, but the last week in Ballymaloe will be slow, and heavenly. We will visit local farmer’s markets and go for drives and explore the nearby villages.
What I’m excited about, in no particular order:
1. The fact that Bono turns down our bed at The Clarence and leaves a little handmade chocolate on our pillow at night. No, really!
2. Browsing Grafton Street, where one of my most favourite movies, Once, was filmed.
3. Pastries at the Queen of Tarts, and fish and chips at Leo Burdock’s.
4. A visit to Cork’s famous English Market.
5. A cooking demonstration at Ballymaloe Cooking School.
If we survive the flights there (with an energetic six year old), we are off to the races! Farewell for now. I’m sure I’ll have copious pictures and stories to post upon our return.
May you have warm words on a cool evening, a full moon on a dark night, and a smooth road all the way to your door. ~Irish Toast