February 20, 2009
- I just saw in Vue magazine that Parkallen Restaurant is now open for breakfast every day at 9 am. They boast a variety of eggs benedict, my favourite. The breakfast gods seem to be answering my call.
- I picked up a Kerstin’s Chocolate at Leva this morning. It is Fleur de Sel, and at first I didn’t like the texture, but then after a few bites, it turned out to be layered between sweet and savoury and most delicious. This chocolate is like fine wine – best to be savoured slowly.
- Ella made this banana streusal coffee cake. It was consumed within 24 hours. This is a sign of a good recipe.
- I was at Wildflower Grill for lunch today, and this is the first time I’ve been disappointed by the service. Our waiter – a regular there – was clearly not on his game. We waited forever while he answered the phone instead of seating us (we had a reservation), we got the table right by the door, and I froze my butt off every time someone opened the door. He seemed annoyed that we didn’t order either wine or the special. He screwed up Mike’s drink order and seemed annoyed when he had to amend it. I know people have off days…make mistakes…but the attitude thing? It really does cast a damper over a (expensive) and rare lunch out. The host was exceedingly gracious and attentive, though, which helped.
- I do not want to talk about Top Chef this week because (SPOILER) Fabio got eliminated. Let us not speak of it again.
- Here’s another funny little thumbprint photo. This was our dinner the other night from the More than Burnt Toast food blog – Val’s Wanna Be Greek Burger. We should have doubled the recipe – we made them with ground pork and the kids vacuumed them up like they were a bunch of Hoovers.
- And tomorrow night? The greatly coveted annual Birthday Dinner, this year at Blue Pear. I hope it is good, because gosh it is really expensive ($89/each before vino). Don’t tell my husband that there are veal cheeks, mushrooms, and eel on the menu for appetizer choice. Thanks for your input into that choice, internet friends!