I stumbled upon the Bothy via Only Here for the Food’s Food notes. I love Sharon’s Food Notes. She has the scoop on everything new in the Edmonton food world. I’d be about six months behind what’s happening without her.So thanks for that, Sharon. Chowhound has a few posts about The Bothy too.
The Bothy is a brand spankin’ new wine and whisky bar, just off Calgary Trail, across from the Weber Centre in the strip mall that houses Eddie’s Men’s Wear, and a Bin 104, a very nice wine shop.
I didn’t bring my camera because it was dark, dinner and the place just opened. I mean, ’tis fair to give a place at least a month to get its legs before descending upon it with a review. I just offer up lame-ass reviews, anyhow.
But first impressions?
- love the space. deep reds, paintings, cosy bar feel
- bluegrass music mixed with dance tunes. eclectic, fun mix
- this is a thinking (wo)man’s place for food and drink. what luxury to have decisions about choosing a wine flight, cheese and charcuterie. the standard menu features an eclectic choice of French (cassoulet) and Scottish (haggis, anyone?)
- the sharing plate was impeccable and came adorned with sweet chutney, dried apricots, pesto and a warm bagette that was voluntarily replenished
- service was exceedingly knowledgeable about the vino, and very attentive.
I have been waiting for a place like this to open in Edmonton for a long long time. Wine flights? Check? Sophisticated bar? Check? And special for my Mike? Whisky. PLUS it is in our part of town…I think we may have finally found ‘our place’ to dine in Edmonton. Welcome to the neighbourhood Bothy…
5482 Calgary Trail