menu for hope
I have a story to tell to you.
While I drive around Edmonton, attempting to shop locally in my SUV (I KNOW – the irony of that is not lost on me. We are going to flip our lease next September to a Prius – I promise), I listen to The Current and Q programs on CBC One.
The past couple of weeks, The Current has featured stories about Africa. Heart-wrenching stories about the epidemics of cholera in Zimbabwe and brutality in the Congo. The stories were stunningly well-told, and I felt a lot of despair. I mean, what can I do about Africa, sitting in my cold truck in the Prairies of Canada?
Well, I had also just read an article about feeling hopeless and despair when hearing emotional news stories about things that happen far away from us. The story said the one way to gain control is to pick one element and to to chip away at it. So from the bigger Africa picture, comes a fundraiser to support a school lunch program in Lesotho.
This was my big preamble for this:
I have donated a prize to the Menu of Hope. The proceeds are going to the UN World Food Programme’s Lesotho school lunch program. It is being organized by food blogger Chez Pim. There are also regional hosts, and Canada’s is Meena at Hooked on Heat.
My donation is a basket of 12 high quality, Edmonton-made chocolate bars from our very own Kerstin’s Chocolates. (So sorry – this can only be shipped to Canadian addresses). I love Kerstin’s chocolates for lots of reasons – she supports small cocoa plantations and adds her own creative flavours like Chai Nut, Gooseberry and Toffee. Can you say Yum?
The code to buy a raffle ticket for this delectable prize is: CA08. Remember that – it is important.
Pumpkin Pie – Milk Chocolate with pumpkin pie spice and graham crackers
Hazelnut Crunch – Milk Chocolate with caramelized hazelnuts
Venezuela 65% – Dark chocolate from Venezuela
Lemon Dream – White chocolate with candied lemon pieces
Mocha Bean – Dark Chocolate with crushed coffee beans (roasted by Transcend Coffee)
Venezuela 49% – Dark Milk chocolate from Venezuela
Ecuador 72% – Dark chocolate from Ecuador
Fleur de Sel – Dark Milk chocolate from Venezuela with a touch of sea salt
Mad Orange Pistachio – Dark chocolate from Madagascar with candied oranges and pistachios
Hot Chocolate – Dark chocolate with cayenne
Cocoa Bean – Dark Chocolate with cocoa nibs
Mad Almond – Dark chocolate from Madagascar with roasted almonds
If you want to buy a raffle ticket for this or any other donated item, here’s what you do:
1. Choose a prize or prizes of your choice from our Menu for Hope at http://chezpim.com
2. Go to the donation site at http://www.firstgiving.com/menuforhope5 and make a donation. (Follow the directions and use the code CA08 if you want to buy a ticket for the Kerstin’s Chocolate box).
3. Each $10 you donate will give you one raffle ticket toward a prize of your choice. Please specify which prize you’d like in the ‘Personal Message’ section in the donation form when confirming your donation. You must write-in how many tickets per prize, and please use the prize code.
For example, a donation of $50 can be 2 tickets for EU01 and 3 tickets for EU02. Please write 2xEU01, 3xEU02
4. If your company matches your charity donation, please check the box and fill in the information so we could claim the corporate match.
5. Please allow us to see your email address so that we could contact you in case you win. Your email address will not be shared with anyone.
If you are a Canadian food blogger and want to participate, please email: email@example.com. She is looking for more donated prizes from food bloggers/sponsors.
Now, click away!